11 August 2014

Assignment 7: Basic Sewing

For this assignment I decided to modify a long-sleeved t-shirt that didn't fit well.  I wanted to turn it into a playful tunic: asymmetrical, stripy, with a bit of black and white Tim Burton flavour.

Step 1: Gather the tools and materials.
One ill-fitting t-shirt.








Various black, white and grey Jersey knits in appropriate weights and with similar drape; tulle, mesh and lace, ribbon and trim. Oh, and thread!



And these, dammit.








Step 2: Take the side seams and sleeves apart.  Use the sleeves to make a pattern for the sleeve cap for the new sleeves, but modify the rest of the sleeve to make a longer, looser sleeve, more open at the wrist.

Step 3: Make a pattern for the gore to be inserted into the side seam to allow the tunic to flare.  Didn't take a picture of that because I was in The Zone.

Step 4: Play with combinations of fabrics, overlays and trims until I find something that I think will work.  I wanted to the tunic to be asymmetrical but balanced in terms of colour and texture, and I wanted it to be longer than the t-shirt, with a hi-lo hem (higher in the front than the back).

 Step 5: Sew sleeve components together then sew shoulder cap in place.
        

Step 6: Adjust length of front and back pieces using flounces. Again, they don't allow you to take photos while in The Zone.

Step 7: Piece together gores.They are each comprised of at least two main pieces plus overlays and embellishments. Grade gore hems to meet new hi-lo hem and insert them into the side seams.

Topstitch seams to ensure all gore seams lie flat against the body. 

Step 8: Find willing model.  Luckily Julie was seized with the need to take her shirt off, so I was happy to oblige her with mine.  Couldn't ask for a better poseur!

Useful Resources

Colgrove, D. (2006). Teach yourself visually sewing. Etobicoke, ON: Wiley. 

Fashion Croquis. (n.d.). Retrieved from 
http://www.designersnexus.com/fashion-design-portfolio/fashion-design-croquis-template/

Marte. D. (n.d.). Sewing knits that fit. Retrieved from 
http://www.craftsy.com/class/sewing-knits-that-fit/3926?_ct=iuqhsx-kdyluhiqb-huikbj-sekhiu&_ctp=3926

10 comments:

  1. You more than outdid yourself Heather. The insets and use of measuring tape in your garment are awesome. Julie did make a good model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have an eye for design and can piece together unique clothing. Julie looked happy to be wearing the one and only creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, was I ever happy to be wearing it!!!! No seriously, it was very comfortable at the same time as being stylish and interesting. I was very impressed by your bravery in taking the original garment apart. In my experience it is sometimes easier to make something from scratch than alter what it already there. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather I love your work. And Julie made an excellent model that day. My sister is a pianist and I was imagining having musical notes instead of the measuring tape. Smart looking and unique. Hope this post works. Brenda

      Delete
    2. Hi Brenda, I see you here! Notes and a piano key type stripe would really work with this concept.

      Delete
  4. I thought this shirt was amazing! If only we had time to personalize all of our clothes! I do hope you will wear it, you put so much work into its creation and it is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is/was so wonderful. I am so happy to see the photo essay of its creation! New hope for sad ill-fitting shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you shared "being in the zone". It definitely shows how your project was Art at its finest. True creativity! I also loved your inclusion of your glasses. I can so relate being almost blind now without mine. Brenda

      Delete
  6. What a great project! Love how you recycled something not being worn into a special piece that cries to be worn! This would be a great thing to do with students, maybe not as complicated as what you did, but the idea of taking something like an old t-shirt and embellishing it to make it new again would be doable and fun for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Elaine,

    Thank you for your lovely comments over the past while. I set up this blog for a course I was doing at Acadia University. I'm guessing that you might be doing the same. I hope you enjoy the course as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete